Toxins in Scented Candles
Most candles are made of paraffin wax (a petroleum waste product that is chemically bleached), which creates highly toxic benzene and toluene (both are known carcinogens) when burned. In 2001, the EPA concluded that burning paraffin candles emit harmful toxins and increase health risks with multiple exposures.
Candle wicks can also be a source of toxins in scented candles. In the US, candle wicks are supposed to be made of cotton or paper, but lead-core wicks can still be found, especially in products manufactured in China or Taiwan. A candle with a lead-core wick releases five times the amount of lead considered hazardous for children and exceeds EPA pollution standards for outdoor air. You don’t even need to light the candle to be exposed to chemicals, simple evaporation from an uncovered candle can release pollutants into the air and touching a candle can cause absorption of chemicals through the skin.
The synthetic fragrances that create candle scents usually contain phthalates. As candles burn, phthalates are released into the air where they may be inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Once they enter the bloodstream, they can aggravate allergy and asthma symptoms in some people and have been found to alter hormone levels.
Healthier Candle Choices
Make healthier choices and avoid the toxins in scented candles by opting for candles that are:
- Made from all-natural products like beeswax or soy
- Made with fine fragrance oils or pure essential oils
- Have paper, 100% cotton, or wooden wicks
- Our candles are made with a Virgin Coconut Soy vegan blend of natural soy and coconut, and a miniscule amount of highly refined food-grade paraffin wax. Our coconut and soy wax blend is FDA-approved and is gluten-free, toxin-free, paraben-free, phthalate-free, and comes from renewable sources.
- Eco-friendly, clean burning, wooden wicks are sourced from FSC-Certified Mills, handcrafted and made in the USA. FSC is the Forest Stewardship Council and they are an independent, nonprofit organization that protects forests for future generations.
- Our premium fragrance collection of phthalate-free fragrance oils are created using fine fragrance oils and pure essential oils sourced from around the globe.
- Our beautiful vessels are made of glass or metal tins. Even our lids are made from all-natural wood, sourced and manufactured in the USA.
No synthetic dyes